Twelve in-game days have passed since I started my latest foray into the Commonwealth and my past gaming experience has certainly served me well. Knowing the lay of the land, how to properly appropriate bottle caps[i], and more importantly, targeting the right Perk Up’s[ii] have advanced the progress of my character to–as of this writing–Level 11. That’s almost one level for every in-game day. *wink*
The goals at the moment are simple: Refrain from over expanding[iii], reach the coveted Level 14 (+ 6 Charisma) so that I can finally establish supply lines between my settlements, and enjoy the game (of course!).
Since my last Fallout 4 post, I have built and fortified an additional two settlements (Abernathy Farm and Covenant) and probably won’t add another settlement until my supply lines are set. Supply lines are important as each settlement would have direct access to each other’s materials and food–relieving me of the time consuming task of lugging around the required construction materials from one base to another.
I’ve also reached that point in the game where I have a Laser Rifle. A powerful weapon in the wasteland, this baby can turn some unlucky enemy into a pool of ashes. The weapon was picked off the body of a quest boss called Skinny Malone[iv]–Hey! My needs were greater than his.
Chronological Order of my Perk Up’s
Here is the breakdown of what perks I targeted first. Just in case you’d like to follow in my footsteps and all:
- Locksmith (Perception Perk | Level 4 | Allows me the opportunity to immediately pick the three safes that I found in Sanctuary).
- Mysterious Stranger (Luck Perks | Level 4 | A mysterious friend to help you take care of those enemies that you missed).
- Level Up Charisma +1 (In order to make the Charisma Level 6 Local Leader perk available).
- Local Leader (Charisma Perks | Level 6 | The first step to establishing supply lines between my settlements[iii]).
- Level Up Charisma +1 (Necessary requirement to unlock the Local Leader Perk once you reach Level 14, Charisma 6).
- Life Giver (Endurance Perks | Level 3 | Who could say no to +20 Maximum Health).
- Level Up Strength +1 (Body Baby! Now I can carry more stuff).
- Locksmith (Perception Perk | Level 4 | Expert level safes are no longer off-limits!).
- Life Giver (Endurance Perks | Level 3 | Another +20 Maximum Health. I really need to be able to take a lot of damage because I don’t move around a lot during combat).
- Level Up Endurance +1 (In order to make the Endurance Level 5 Aquaboy perk available).
- Aquaboy (Endurance Perks | Level 5 | Also known as Aquagirl if you selected a Female Wanderer at the start of the game. Had to get this one as the Covenant quest required some swimming and I didn’t want to soak in any radiation).
[i] The currency of The New World.
[ii] In order to maximize my character’s upgrades.
[iii] It can happen if you attempt to develop too many settlements at the same time.
[iv] Pound for pound: A misnomer.