During the second leg of my US trip in California, a good friend was nice enough to surprise me with an invite me to the 3rd Annual East Bay Comic Con in Hilton Concord. The one-day East Bay Comic Con, much smaller than our local conventions here in Manila, occupied a number of the Hilton’s function rooms and featured a number of personalities, guest comic book artists[i], and finds that would literally make your jaw drop to the floor!
Fortunately (or unfortunately—depending on your point of view), the ever-present knowledge that my check-in luggage was reaching its maximum allowable weight stopped me from throwing all fiscal responsibility out of the window.
But it sure was fun!
With a reasonable budget, these are the items that I went home with:
- Comic Topload Holder (5 pcs.)
- Captain America Volume 1: #249, #337, #410, and Annual #5
- Indestructible Hulk #1 and #4
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1985) #2, #3, #4, and #7
- Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1986) #6, #8, and #15
- Superior Spider-Man: A Troubled Mind TPB (Volume 2)
- Superior Spider-Man #014
- The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #017
For more photos on the convention, follow my Instagram account (@tedivillasor).
- I also found out that long-time Captain America artist Ron Lim was responsible for the two 2012 variant covers of the Marvel Custom Edition – The Avengers: Menace of the Mole Man #1 (Jollibee Philippines give-away promo). I was equally surprised to find out that Ron was not aware of how his covers were ultimately used by Marvel. I learn something new everyday.
[i] For more information on the convention personalities and guest comic book artists, you can visit their website at eastbaycomiccon.com.