I don’t normally have posts like this but there was really no doubt in my mind that I should share this one. Many thanks to my mom for showing me the following story.
The last three wishes of Alexander the Great
Just before he died, Alexander convened his generals and told them his last three wishes:
- That his coffin SHOULD BE carried on the shoulders and transported by the best doctors of the time.
- That the treasures he had conquered (e.g., silver, gold, precious stones), should be scattered on the path to the grave site.
- That his hands should be dangling in the air, outside of the coffin, and in view of all.
One of his generals, astonished by these quite unusual desires, asked Alexander about his reasons. Alexander explained to him:
- “I want the most eminent doctors from the land to load my coffin to show that they did not have the power to heal in the face of death.”
- “I want the ground to be covered by my treasures for all to see that material goods conquered here, cannot be taken, so, also remain here.”
- “I want my hands to be swaying in the wind, so that people can see that just as we came here with empty hands, we leave too with empty hands, when we are ending the most valuable treasure, which is our time.”
When dying you can take no material with you, Time is the most precious treasure that we have because it is limited. We can produce more money, but not more time …When we dedicate time to a person, we are giving him/her a portion of our life that we can never recover, our time is our life.
Remember, Time will always be the best gift that you can give someone.